Martha Stewart famously said: “I think baking cookies is equal to Queen Victoria running an empire. There’s no difference in how seriously you take the job, how seriously you approach your whole life.”
Whether your students love cooking or not, they’re sure to have strong opinions and fun stories to share about cooking.
Ask your students to team up in groups or pairs and help them practice their speaking skills with these ESL conversation questions about cooking.
23 ESL conversation questions about cooking
- Do you like cooking? Why or why not?
- Are you a good cook?
- What are some of the first things you learned how to cook when you were a kid?
- Who taught you to cook?
- Do you enjoy hosting dinner parties?
- How often do you have people over for dinner each month?
- What is your go-to meal that you cook to impress your guests?
- Are you good at preparing meals for large groups (e.g. holiday meals) or do you find it stressful?
- What is your favourite meal to prepare? Describe it.
- What is your favourite cuisine to cook? Why?
- What is your favourite cuisine to eat? Why?
- Do you have a sweet tooth? Or do you prefer savoury meals?
- How often do you eat out every week?
- What are your favourite restaurants to eat at?
- Do you like to cook anything special on weekends?
- What is your favourite meal of the day: breakfast, lunch, or dinner?
- Do you cook and eat meat?
- Do you have any particular dietary restrictions?
- Are you a healthy eater? Why or why not?
- Who does the grocery shopping and cooking at your house?
- Are you good at following a recipe? Or do you prefer to get creative and improvise?
- Do you watch any cooking shows on TV? If so, which ones?
- Do you like any celebrity chefs? If so, which ones?
What other ESL conversation topics would you like us to write about?
Let us know in the comments!