Graham Green famously said: “There is always one moment in childhood when it opens the door and lets the future in.”
Help your students improve their English vocabulary while they reminisce about their youth with these questions about childhood and growing up.
32 ESL conversation questions about childhood
- What is your favourite childhood memory?
- At what age were you the happiest as a child?
- Do you enjoy being an adult, or would you prefer being a kid again?
- If you had the choice, would you relive your childhood again?
- How many brothers and sisters do you have?
- Were you friends with your siblings while you were growing up?
- Who was your favourite teacher at school? Why?
- What was your favourite subject in school?
- What was your least favourite subject in school?
- Did you enjoy going to school?
- Were you “book smart” as a kid?
- Were you naturally talented at sports as a kid?
- Did you prefer to play outside or indoors when you were a child?
- What was your favourite toy to play with as a kid?
- What was your favourite pastime when you were young?
- Who was your favourite family member when you were younger?
- What was your favourite school trip?
- Did you have a childhood best friend while you were growing up?
- Are you still in touch with your childhood best friend today? Why or why not?
- Were you well-behaved as a child or not?
- What were you like as a kid?
- What foods did you refuse to eat when you were younger? Do you eat those foods now?
- Where did you grow up?
- Did you stay in the same place for your entire childhood, or did your family move around?
- If you could do your childhood all over again, what would you choose to do differently?
- If you could raise your own children anywhere in the world, would you raise them in your hometown or somewhere else? Why?
- Did your family go on any trips or holidays together? Where did you go?
- What is one of the best lessons your father ever taught you as a kid?
- What is one of the best lessons your mother ever taught you as a kid?
- Did you have a happy childhood?
- What is the best thing about being a child?
- What is the worst thing about being a child?
What have been the most effective ESL Discussion Topics and ESL conversation questions in your lessons? Share your experience below.