Asking your ESL students to discuss birthdays can lead to some very interesting conversation and vocabulary in the classroom.
When it’s time for conversation practice, arrange your students in groups or pairs and have them work through these ESL conversation questions about birthdays.
ESL conversation questions about birthdays
- When is your birthday?
- Are birthdays important to you? Why or why not?
- Are birthdays important to your family? Why or why not?
- How do you prefer to celebrate your own birthday?
- Do you enjoy attending other people’s birthday parties?
- How do people usually celebrate birthdays in your country?
- Do people sing “happy birthday” in your country?
- What other birthday traditions are common in your country?
- Have you ever had a surprise birthday party?
- Have you ever thrown a surprise birthday party for someone else?
- Have you ever forgotten the birthday of someone who was important to you? If so, what happened?
- What was your favourite birthday in your life? What made it so special?
- Have you ever had a bad birthday? If so, what happened?
- If you had all the money in the world, how would you choose to celebrate your birthday?
- Do you enjoy receiving birthday gifts?
- Do you prefer to receive physical things or experiences as a birthday gift?
- Do you enjoy it when other people make a big deal out of your birthday? Or does it make you feel uncomfortable?
- Do you enjoy giving birthday gifts to friends and family?
- Are you good at choosing gifts for other people?
- Do you prefer to celebrate your birthday during the daytime or nighttime?
- Do you eat cake on your birthday? If so, what is your favourite kind of birthday cake?
- Do you prefer to celebrate birthdays at home, at a restaurant, or somewhere else?
- Do you usually organize your own birthday party? Or do you prefer to have someone else organize it for you?
- Do you think that birthday milestones like turning 30, 40, or 50 should be celebrated differently?
- Do you think kids’ birthdays should be special?
- What is the best birthday present you have ever given to someone else?
- What is the best birthday present you have ever received?
- Do you usually spend a lot of money on birthday gifts? Or not?
- Do you write birthday cards for your friends and family? Or not?
- Do you share your birthday with anyone famous?
- What is your astrological star sign?
- Do you worry about getting older or does ageing not really bother you?
What ESL Discussion Topics and ESL conversation questions do you enjoy using with your students?