This list of conversation questions about religion will get your ESL classroom talking. Before you get started though, remember that religion can be a controversial or sensitive discussion topic for some people.
It’s always a good idea to check that your class is ready to engage in this ESL discussion topic before you get started.
List of religion conversation questions
- How many religions and spiritual traditions can you name in English?
- Do you have a religion? What is it?
- Is your personal religion different to your family’s religion?
- How has religion influenced your life?
- How has religion influenced the world?
- Do you believe that God exists? Why or why not?
- Do you feel that religion is helpful? Why or why not?
- Do you believe that there is an afterlife? Why or why not?
- Do you think that religion and government should be kept separate?
- What would the world look like without religion?
- Have you ever had a religious experience or spiritual experience? What happened?
- Is it okay for different people to have different religions? Why or why not?
- What are some of the positive aspects of religion?
- What are some of the negative aspects of religion?
- Can two people with different religions be in a successful romantic relationship?
- Can religion and science coexist?
- How do different religions celebrate death?
- How do different religions view forgiveness?
- How do different religions approach the idea of sin?
- Has religion changed or evolved over time? How?
- Do religious beliefs affect friendships and family relationships? How?
- What is your opinion on missionaries and religious conversion?
- Are there any “good” or “bad” religions?
- What religious holidays does your country celebrate?
- What is your country’s primary religion (or religions)?