This list of ESL conversation questions about colors will help you spark plenty of interesting and engaging discussions with friends, acquaintances, colleagues, and strangers.
Each question is designed to help you explore the impact that color has on our daily lives—symbolism, personal preferences, cultural beliefs, and more.
So find an English speaking partner, choose any question, and start exploring the world of colors while you practice your English conversation skills!
40 conversation questions about colors
- What is your favorite color? Why?
- How many colors can you see and name right now?
- Has your favorite color changed as you got older?
- Do you believe that colors convey emotion?
- Do you believe that colors can change or affect a person’s mood?
- What colors do you associate with happiness?
- What colors do you associate with sadness?
- What colors do you associate with anger?
- What colors do you associate with joy?
- What colors best represent winter? Why?
- What colors best represent summer? Why?
- What does the color brown represent? Why?
- Can you name any colors that start with P?
- Can you name any colors that start with M?
- How many shades of blue can you name?
- How many shades of red can you name?
- How many shades of green can you name?
- What is your favorite color of clothing to wear?
- Which colors suit you?
- Which colors do not suit you?
- Have you ever met or known someone who was color blind?
- If you had to paint your car, which color would you choose?
- What color would you paint your house?
- What color would you paint your room?
- Can you name any vibrant colors in English?
- Can you name any subdued colors in English?
- Is yellow a cool or warm color?
- Is red a cool or warm color?
- Is blue a cool or warm color?
- What color(s) works best with black?
- Is black a primary or a secondary color?
- How many hues can you find in a rainbow?
- Can you name the colors of the rainbow in order?
- Can you explain what a primary color is?
- How many primary colors are there?
- Can you name two complementary colors?
- Are you a minimalist or a maximalist when it comes to using color?
- Is it possible to use “too much color”?
- Do you think that different cultures view colors differently?
- Is a monochromatic color scheme made up of one color or multiple colors?
What ESL discussion topics and ESL conversation questions should we write about next? Add your comments below!